Teacher training: working with nextus in the classroom
With the 2021/22 school year, the pilot project started its test phase at several partner schools in Germany, Spain and Greece. DOK.education is working with ten secondary schools across Germany to develop and further professionalize the digital film education platform. The joint launch of the nextus took place on September 30, 2021 at one of our partner schools, the municipal Anita-Augspurg Berufsoberschule in Munich.
Individual training for teachers at our partner schools
Regarding the individual curricula of the various schools in Bavaria, the education of media literacy is a cross-cutting task for all types of schools in the competency-oriented curricula. Media education and digital literacy are anchored in all curricula as a central cross-curricular educational goal.
The learning platform nextus offers teachers the opportunity to let students work with documentaries in an interactive way. The films can either complement their own subject lessons or deal with interdisciplinary topics. The documentaries help to make theoretical teaching content emotionally tangible by using real people as examples.
A great advantage of the platform is the possibility to take individual clips from different films in order to create a topic-specific collection for one's own lessons. This also means that students do not have to be familiar with the genre of documentary narration for working with the platform. In case you want to work more deeply with the narrative specificity of this genre, the platform also offers the films in full length.
In individual trainings at our partner schools we would like to introduce all interested teachers to the platform in a concrete way. Our goal is to familiarize teachers with the possibilities of nextus and to work out practically how they can use the platform in their individual lessons: Based on a topic of their choice, teachers develop one or more clip collections that they can use directly in the classroom.
Course of the three-hour training
Part 1: Welcome and introduction, approx. 45 min.
- Short introduction to the platform nextus
- Introduction to artistic documentary film as distinct from reportage using the example of the documentary film ENDLICH TACHELES
Part 2: Practical planning of an own teaching unit, approx. 2h
- In the second part, the students are shown how to work with the platform on the basis of a specific curriculum content in the subject of social psychology (at Bavarian technical and vocational high schools): The students apply a previously learned concept of social psychology in individual selected film clips.
- Planning a teaching sequence: Under guidance, teachers will compile documentary film clips into collections based on their desired teaching topic.
- Conclusion: teachers briefly present their collections, room for questions and criticism
The training is led by Andreas Knorr, teacher for pedagogy/psychology, politics and society at the Anita-Augspurg BOS Munich and Kathi Seemann, project coordinator of nextus and assistant at DOK.education.
The three-hour training is free of charge and certified by DOK.education. It takes place online by appointment, on Saturday mornings from 10 am – 1 pm or during the week from 5 pm – 8 pm.
Are you interested in a training at your school? Please feel free to contact us.