BY+QC Doc CoPro – Training initiative Bavaria-Quebec
Training initiative Bavaria-Quebec
Together with Forum RIDM, the industry platform of Montreal International Documentary Festival, DOK.forum München offers the successful international training programme.
Both regions send one emerging director/producer duo with a project in development and one experienced producer to the partner festival, where they have the opportunity to initiate new co-productions on both sides of the Atlantic and will be provided with a new network of collaborators, training, masterclasses and networking events. The teams also take part at their "home" festival's Forum editions.
Forum RDIM 2022
Following the great success of the first two international training initiatives between Bavaria and Quebec in 2018-2020 and 2020-2022, DOK.forum München and Forum RIDM are collaborating again to strengthen the collaboration between their respective local industries. By participating in the networking activities of both festivals, the teams will have the opportunity to initiate new co-productions on both sides of the Atlantic and will benefit from a network of collaborators, masterclasses and networking events.
Be part of the 2023-24 edition! CALL FOR ENTRIES until 1 October 2023:
DOK.forum München invites a Bavaria-based director/producer duo with a documentary film project in development and an experienced Bavaria-based producer (or Bavaria-based production company) interested in co-producing with the Quebec region, to participate in this year's Forum RIDM from 17-22 November 2023, as well as DOK.forum Marketplace from 1-7 May 2024.
For the first time in our cooperation the producer/director duo will also participate at the Forum RIDM Doc Lab Montreal.
Objectives of BY+QC Doc CoPro
- Strengthen audiovisual creation and support documentary projects in development by emerging filmmakers from Bavaria and Quebec while building important links between them
- Promote the co-production of documentaries between Bavaria and Quebec and foster new collaborations between Bavaria-based and Quebec-based emerging producers and directors
- Help develop projects that will continue to build commercial and creative bridges between Bavaria and Quebec
- Allow experienced producers to connect with potential collaborators and financiers, bring projects to market, getting financed and find an audience
- Encourage cultural exchanges, best practices and format
Building on five years of collaboration between our two structures, we continue to support our local documentary film industries by providing opportunities for both seasoned and emerging producers and contribute to the professional development of the latter and the filmmakers they collaborate with.
In one edition (2023-24), one director/producer duo with a documentary project in development and one experienced producer from Bavaria and Quebec will be offered a comprehensive programme of training and networking activities. The programme units are held alternately between DOK.forum München and Forum RIDM in Montreal. The kick-off event will take place in November 2023 at Forum RIDM.
Participation conditions (Bavaria)
We're looking for:
- A director/producer duo with a documentary project in development
- based in Bavaria
- with a producer who has at least three years of experience in documentary production and has produced at least one documentary for cinema, TV or platforms
- with a producer who has already made his/her first steps in international co-production
- with a great interest in co-production with Canada or North America
- who both are available on the following dates: 17-22 November 2023 (Forum RIDM) and 1-7 May 2024 (DOK.forum München)
- An experienced producer
- based in Bavaria
- with a great interest in collaborating on a Canadian or North American co-production for projects in development
- who is available on the following dates: 17-22 November 2023 (Forum RIDM) and 1-7 May 2024 (DOK.forum München)
How to participate:
If you are interested to participate in the 2023-2024 BY+QC programme and being part of our delegation at the 2023 Forum RIDM please submit your profile and project by 1 October 2023
About Forum RIDM
Organised as part of the Montreal International Documentary Festival (RIDM), and founded in collaboration with DOC Quebec, Forum RIDM offers an intensive programme of professional workshops, lectures and roundtables that focus on training, discussion and sharing of knowledge among the various players in the industry. As a networking platform, Forum RIDM offers business meetings that encourage the development of partnerships, help get new projects off the ground and promote sales. Every year, the event, attended by the most influential decision-makers in the industry, draws over 400 professionals interested in innovative projects and the issues currently facing documentary makers.
Alina Götzlich, DOK.forum Marketplace, email@example.com
With the support of:
Retrospect first training initiative 2018 to 2020: Feedback from participants
“Das QC+BY Programm war für uns als junge bayrische Produktionsfirma mit Fokus auf den Kinodokumentarfilm ein Schlüsselereignis der letzten zwei Jahre. Unser Projekt „Wanderjahre“ über die Kochweltmeisterin aus dem bayrischen Murnau haben wir in diesem Programm zur Drehreife entwickelt und wird nun als unsere erste internationale Koproduktion realisiert. Auch wenn wir in diesem Fall keinen kanadischen Partner mit an Board haben, hat uns das QC+BY Programm nicht nur die Augen geöffnet, wie die kanadische und nordamerikanische Markt im Dokumentarfilm funktioniert, sondern wir haben langfristige Partner in Montreal kennen gelernt mit denen die feste Übereinkunft besteht, in Zukunft gemeinsame Projekte zu realisieren. Dieses gewachsene Vertrauen und gegenseitige Verständnis aufzubauen, ist einmalig und nur durch ein solches Programm überhaupt möglich. Ich bin für diese Möglichkeit extrem dankbar und wünsche auch nachkommenden, vielversprechenden ProduzentInnen diese Möglichkeit.“
"It gave me the opportunity to present my project and meet upcoming Canadian producers to work with. It helped me to improve on my pitch and to get feedback on my presentation from professionals. I experienced the event as very helpful and inspiring.”
“The programme not only helped to extend our network but also gave a great insight not only in Co-Producing with Canada but also in the Canadian broadcasting and funding system as well as international co-producing in general. Also, it was a good chance to exchange ideas and experiences with other emerging producers from our own country.”