Regulations film submission Student Award 2024
Every documentary film submitted for the Student Award 2024 must meet the following requirements:
1. General conditions of participation
Only students of the partner universities of DOK.fest München are eligible for submission.
- The Student Award can nominate films of any length. There is no minimum running time.
- The date of completion is after 1 January 2023.
- Until the screening at the festival, the submitted film must not have been broadcast by ARD (including third channels), arte, 3sat and ZDF, nor have been released in cinemas in Germany. Furthermore, films that are available on freely accessible internet platforms are excluded from the festival. In individual cases, the decision on admission is the responsibility of the festival management.
- The film must be submitted using the online form by 18 December 2023 (the date of the postmark / the completed online registration applies).
2. No fees
Submissions for the Student Award are exempt from payment of the submission fee for the participating universities. We kindly ask you to ignore any automated requests for payment due to incorrect entries during registration.
3. Language versions
English or German subtitles are desirable for the viewing process. For films with original language German, English, French, Spanish and Dutch it is sufficient to provide subtitles only in case of acceptance. If the film is invited to the festival, German or English subtitles are obligatory.
4. Programming / selection
All programming decisions are made by our selection committee. In the final instance, the programme management is responsible for the film selection and series allocation. Premieres will also be given preference outside of the competition series.
5. Granting of rights, legal guarantees and exemptions
By submitting the film, you guarantee to be the sole owner of all rights to the work. This includes the rights to the image of the persons appearing in the film, the copyrights and ancillary copyrights of all parties involved in the production of the film, and the personal or other rights of third parties. The screening rights of the film and the trailer, the right to distribute the press material are to be temporarily granted to DOK.fest München in case your film is selected. The same applies to the transfer of rights for the presentation of the film on the digital screen.
If your film is selected for the festival, you grant DOK.fest München these rights without the need for any further declaration. You shall exempt DOK.fest München from any claims by third parties in connection with the rights referred to in Item 4 Para.1, including the reasonable costs of the necessary legal defense such as, in particular, attorney's fees and court costs.
6. Publicitiy / promotion
Should your film be selected, we will need press and photo material as soon as possible. By accepting the regulations you assure that you will make the material (online download link, DVD, photos, texts, trailers) available to the festival for press work and for promotional purposes in the catalogue, programme booklet and on the website within the framework of DOK.fest München. Likewise, you agree that DOK.fest München may use film excerpts of up to three minutes as part of the festival coverage on the website. DOK.fest München reserves the right to pass on photos, film clips and trailers to selected partners for promotional purposes.
7. Presentation formats
The following screening formats are permitted:
- DCI compliant Digital Cinema Package DCP
- ProRes File 4.2.2 HQ (sound format 5.1) or an H.264 file
8. Steps to film submission
Film submissions are made via our website.
- If you are submitting a film for the first time and do not yet have a user account with us, please register here by creating an account.
- If you already have an account, you can log in there at any time and submit a new film. In case you have forgotten your password, you can request a new one via our system.
- To submit via the online form, select the module "Your films" under "Your account" after logging in. You can then use the button "Submit a film" (top right) to start your submission.
For the free submission for the Student Award, please select the section "Student Award" under "Registration for".
Please enter correct information about the submitted film, as we will work with the information you enter when selecting the film for our programme. The information you provide will be included in our (online) programme booklet. Please fill in the online form completely (including online screening link – a rough cut is sufficient).
Upon receipt of your registration, you will receive a confirmation email to the email address you provided during online registration. If you receive a mechanically generated payment request for the submission fee, please ignore it.
For the time being, please do not send us any digital photos, trailers or transcripts. If your film is selected, we will request this material from you. We ask for your understanding that print material sent in unfortunately cannot be returned.
Submissions that are incomplete or do not meet the above criteria will be considered rejected and will not be screened.
We endeavour to invite directors of festival films to the screenings in Munich. In addition, all films in the competition series and all programme films have the opportunity to win an award in various competitions across the series (DOK.fest Award of the SOS Kinderdörfer weltweit, German Documentary Film Music Award, VFF Documentary Film Production Award, FFF Talent Award). There are no claims to the assumption of costs or to any other form of remuneration.
10. Validity of these conditions of participation
By completing the registration on the online form, you accept the validity of these conditions of participation. These conditions of participation apply to all current film submissions, even if they have not been expressly agreed upon again. DOK.fest München does not recognise deviating conditions, even if it is aware of them, unless DOK.fest München has expressly agreed to their validity in writing.
11. Place of jurisdiction, applicability of German law
As far as permissible, Munich shall be agreed as the place of jurisdiction. The law of the Federal Republic of Germany shall apply to the exclusion of the conflict of laws rules.