Call for Entries:
German Documentary Film Music Award 2024
Submit now until 1 February 2024!
DOK.fest München and Versicherungskammer Kulturstiftung are pleased to announce the 12th German Documentary Film Music Award at the 39th DOK.fest München 2024.
An award for outstanding documentary film compositions, endowed with 5.000 euros
Unique in the German-speaking region, the German Documentary Film Music Award recognises a composition for a feature-length cinema documentary that connects with the documentary film narrative in a special way. The award sees itself as a platform for the work of composers and the value of music as a narrative level in documentary films.
The German Documentary Film Music Award is endowed with 5.000 euros. The composer of the film is being honoured. The award is donated by the Versicherungskammer Kulturstiftung.
Composers and filmmakers are invited to submit their original compositions for a current feature-length documentary film from the German-speaking countries.
Conditions of participation
The following requirements must be met:
- The composition is part of a documentary film and has been composed for it.
- The composer is a member of GEMA, AKM or SUISA.
- The date of completion of the film is after 1 January 2023.
- The running time of the film (not the score) is at least 52 minutes.
- The running time of the score is at least 15 minutes.
- At least 75% of the score comes from the composer who is applying.
- A cinema copy of the film is available.
- Films that are available on freely accessible internet platforms are excluded from submission.
- Films that have already been shown publicly at DOK.fest München are excluded from submission.
- Films that have already been broadcast on German television before the award ceremony are excluded from submission.
- Please officially confirm to us that the submitted film, in case of winning, can be screened free of charge at the corresponding award ceremony and that it can also be publicly screened as part of our BEST DOKS.
If you would like to submit your film for the German Documentary Film Music Award, please register it via our database. Please select "German Documentary Film Music Award" under "Registration for".
If you submit a film with us for the very first time, please set up an account. If you already have an account, you can log in at any time and register a new film. If you have forgotten your password, please request a new one through our system. We provide information on the exact steps for submitting a film here under item 8.
Please also send the following documents by email to Johanna von Websky (firstname.lastname@example.org):
- Cover letter, informal (with telephone number and address of submitter)
- Cue-Sheet for the registered composition
- Technically flawless screening link of the film (if not already provided – a rough cut is sufficient)
- Bio- and filmography of the composer
Submission deadline is 1 February 2024.
If you have any questions regarding your application, please contact:
Johanna von Websky
Phone: +49 89 520 30 820
Dachauer Straße 116
Award-winning film 2023
Director: Pawel Siczek
Composition: David Langhard
Award-winning film 2022
MEIN GESTOHLENES LAND (THIS STOLEN COUNTRY OF MINE)
Director: Marc Wiese
Composition: Carsten Nicolai aka Alva Noto
Award-winning film 2021
Directors: Christian von Brockhausen, Willem Konrad
Composition: Christoph Schauer
Award-winning film 2020
DIE LETZTEN ÖSTERREICHER (THE LAST AUSTRIANS)
Director: Lukas Pitscheider
Composition: Klemens Bittmann, Christian Bakanic and Christofer Frank
Award-winning film 2019
Director: Florian Baron
Composition: Jana Irmert
Award-winning film 2018
Director: Andres Veiel
Composition: Damian Scholl and Ulrich Reuter
Award-winning film 2017
Director: Sobo Swobodnik
Composition: Elias Gottstein
Award-winning film 2016
Directors: M. Luksch, M. Reinhart and T. Tode
Composition: Siegfried Friedrich
Award-winning film 2015
Director: Nicolas Steiner
Composition: Jan Miserre and John Gürtler, Paradox Paradise
Award-winning film 2014
MERET OPPENHEIM – EINE SURREALISTIN AUF EIGENEN WEGEN
Director: Daniela Schmidt-Langels
Composition: Ulrike Haage
Award-winning film 2013
Director: August Pflugfelder
Composition: Sebastian Fischer