QC+BY Doc Co-Pro – Quebec-Bavarian training programme
Call for co-production projects for emerging documentary producers (linear, interactive and Virtual Reality) both in Quebec and Bavaria.
New Quebec-Bavarian training programme
Together with Doc Circuit Montreal, the industry platform of Montreal International Documentary Festival (RIDM), DOK.forum Munich is proud to launch a call for projects addressed to Quebec and Bavarian documentary film producers. Three emerging producers from each region will have the opportunity to work together on new co-productions on both sides of the Atlantic.
For the first time, the joint programme will provide young producers with a new network of collaborators, helping to showcase talent from Quebec and Bavaria on both continents. QC+BY Doc Co-Pro will include training, masterclasses, individual mentorship and networking events tailored to the needs of the film regions. The aim of the two-year programme is to prepare a bilaterally developed documentary film project for pitching sessions at the festival industry platforms.
The new initiative is funded by the Ministère de la Culture et des Communications Quebec, Canada, as well as by the Bayerische Staatskanzlei.
Last meeting at RIDM in Montreal
After a successful second workshop part at the DOK.forum in May 2019, the participants of the training programme met again at RIDM in Montreal. In addition to attending the industry sessions, The group of six young film teams works closely together to develop their projects and jointly tackle the challenges and opportunities of international co-production. The participants will meet for the last part of the training programme in May 2020 in Munich.
A big thank you to our funders and supporters, the Ministère de la Culture et des communications and the Bavarian state chancellery for making this new parntership between Québec and Bavaria possible.
Participants and projects of QC+BY Doc Co-Pro 2019
|POPULATION MATTERS, producer: Alexander Krötsch, company: schöne neue Filme||YOUNG & HUNGRY, producer: Thomas Herberth, company: HORSE&FRUITS||HOMO EX MACHINA, producer: Martin Schwimmer, company: DOMAR film GmbH, photo credit: ETH Zurich|
|DEEP INSIDE HUMANITY, producer: Mélanie Carrier, company: Mö Films||BETWEEN TWO WORLDS, producer: Charles Menher, company: Prince Médias||NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH, producer: Eric Ruel & Guylaine Maroist, company: Productions de la Ruelle|
Objectives of QC+BY Doc Co-Pro
- Improve understanding of co-production
- Help develop projects that will continue to build commercial and creative bridges between Quebec and Bavaria
- Prepare and train emerging producers in documentary (linear, interactive and virtual reality) for international co-production
- Foster new collaborations between producers that will translate in co-production projects getting financed and produced
- Allow emerging producers to connect with potential collaborators and financiers, bring projects to market and find an audience
- Provide in-depth practical knowledge of the international co-production landscape, as well as a better understanding of the producer’s role in a globalized market
- Establish relationships between Quebec-based emerging producers, and Bavaria-based as well as international producers, buyers, distributors and programmers
- Encourage cultural exchanges, best practices and format
Alternating between events in Munich and Montreal, in a 2-year timeline (Nov 2018 to Nov 2020) the following professional activities will be offered to the selected candidates:
- Training programme of workshops and masterclasses with a co-production focus; that will speak to the very practical side (budget, tax credits, treaty rules etc) as well as to the creative side (creative producing, decision-making, impact producing, key creative split scenarios)
- Individual mentorship and support during Doc Circuit Montreal and DOK.forum Marketplace
- Access to all activities during the two events and their networking activities
- Practical workshops and presentations by decision-makers present on site
- One-on-one sessions at each event and a pitching session to end the training
Details of the offer
- International transport
- Accreditation to both events
Participation conditions (Bavaria)
We invite all Bavarian resident documentary producers (linear, interactive and Virtual Reality) who
- have produced at least two feature length documentary films and a minimum of 3 years experience in documentary production
- have not officially coproduced internationally OR have one international coproduction experience
- have at least one project with Canadian coproduction and international broadcast potential and/or want to collaborate on Canadian co-production projects in development
- are available at these dates:
11th to 14th November 2018 (Doc Circuit Montréal)
May 8th to 16th 2019 (DOK.forum Munich)
to apply for the QC+BY Doc Co-Pro training programme.
All documentary projects are welcome, including series, features, interactive projects and experimental works.
About Doc Circuit Montreal
Doc Circuit Montreal (DCM), organised as part of the Montreal International Documentary Festival (RIDM) is a unique creative and professional documentary forum that curates opportunities for professional exposure for Canadian artists, as well as for exchange with international experts and buyers. The event offers an intensive program of workshops, business meetings that encourage development of partnerships and roundtables that focus on training, discussion and sharing of knowledge among the various players in the industry.
Every year, the event, attended by the most influential decision-makers in the industry, draws over 300 professionals interested in innovative projects and the issues currently facing documentary makers.
Flora Roever, Head of DOK.forum Marketplace, firstname.lastname@example.org