DOK.forum Marketplace – the concept
The Marketplace for the German-speaking area
As part of the Munich International Documentary Film Festival, the DOK.forum Marktplatz offers a German-language co-production platform at the Hochschule für Fernsehen und Film München. At moderated roundtable sessions, one-to-one meetings and pitching competitions, selected topics meet partners from editorial, production, promotion and sales. The concrete goal is to enable new co-productions through controlled matchmaking.
The event is aimed at young, aspiring and experienced filmmakers (and film composers) from Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Luxembourg and South Tyrol. The themes of the concepts are not linked to these regions. Any documentary format at any stage of development is welcome.
What we offer
- Carefully Curated Matchmaking
- Numerous formats from pitching, roundtables and one-to-ones to screenings
- Offers for every stage of development
- Endowed competitions
- Opportunity for in-depth discussion
- Industry access through diverse networking opportunities in a relaxed and pleasant atmosphere
- International Guest Delegations (2019 from Quebec, Canada)
- An attractive accreditation package (including accommodation and catering; submission free of charge)
What we are looking for
- Innovative projects from the German-speaking area
- All documentary genres from feature-length documentaries to series, Web Doc and VR
- Projects in an early stage of development (film idea, without financing, without trailer, without production)
- Projects in advanced development stage (with trailer, possibly partial financing)
- Projects in rough-cut (work-in-progress, ready for festival evaluation / distribution)
- Stories with great potential for co-productions within the German-speaking area, as well as on an international level.
- New ways of storytelling
- Strong visual language
- Strong compositional idea
The formats and awards at DOK.forum Marketplace 2019
DOK.forum Marketplace 2019 offers numerous specialised formats - including three endowed competitions. Each approved project has the chance to qualify for the selection. The selection committee decides on all nominations and curates the best possible matches.
- Marketplace Masters Pitch – An open training session in partnership with Documentary Campus
Selected projects with particularly strong international potential will be presented to the public and top-class international experts on stage. The aim is to make the decision-making processes of the industry transparent and to create a platform for exchange and cooperation.
In moderated 90-minute roundtable sessions, filmmakers discuss their latest projects in an exclusive and pleasant atmosphere with experts from the editorial, production, sales and promotion departments.
- One-to-One Meetings
To complement the discussions in the roundtables and after the pitchings, the DOK.forum marketplace offers carefully curated one-to-one meetings of 15 minutes each. The meetings will be arranged in advance and during the marketplace upon request of the decision makers.
- NEW: British Pathé Archive Award
For the first time, the new sponsorship award at DOK.forum Marketplace 2019 honours projects with a large share of archive material and thus strengthens a documentary genre rich in tradition. The winning project will receive British Pathé archive material worth 14,000 euros or, alternatively, 2,500 euros in cash.
- German Composition Prize, donated by Sonoton Music
In order to strengthen the artistic collaboration between filmmaker.innen and composer.innen, the best musical concept for a documentary film will be endowed with 2,500 euros.
- Pitch Award – sponsored by Haus des Dokumentarfilms
All students at our partner universities have the opportunity to submit their current projects for the Pitch Award. The best pitch among the nine nominated students will receive 2,500 euros in project funding.
- Marketplace Screenings
Up to 10 projects in rough cut will be screened in a closed buyers, lenders, sales agents and festival curators.
- International training and chances
Among all approved marketplace projects, two projects receive free market access and a festival pass from our partner festivals: Jean-Jacques Peretti invites an interactive project to the Sunny Side of the Doc in La Rochelle, France, and Mara Gourd-Mercard grants a project participation in the Doc Circuit Montreál of the RIDM.
Head of DOK.forum Marketplace
Tel.: +49 (0)89 – 51 51 97 86
Broadcasters at DOK.forum Marketplace
Distributors and world sales at Marketplace