DOK.forum Marketplace – the concept
The Marketplace for the German-speaking area
As part of the Munich International Documentary Film Festival, the DOK.forum Marktplatz offers an idea- and co-production platform for the German-speaking industry - including events for international professionals. At moderated roundtable sessions, one-to-one meetings and pitching competitions, selected topics meet partners from editorial, production, promotion and sales. The concrete goal is to enable new co-productions through controlled matchmaking.
The event is especially aimed at young, aspiring and experienced filmmakers (and film composers) from Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Luxembourg and South Tyrol. The themes of the concepts are not linked to these regions. Any documentary format at any stage of development is welcome.
The next edition of the DOK.forum Marketplace takes place from 7th to 10th May 2020 at the University of Television and Film Munich.
What we offer
- Carefully curated Matchmaking
- Numerous formats from pitching, roundtables and one-to-ones to screenings
- Offers for every stage of development
- Three endowed competitions
- Opportunity for in-depth discussion
- Industry access through diverse networking opportunities in a relaxed and pleasant atmosphere
- International Guest Delegations (2020 from Canada)
- An attractive accreditation package (including festival accreditation, accommodation and catering; submission free of charge)
What we are looking for
- Innovative projects from the German-speaking area
- All documentary genres from feature-length documentaries to series, Web Doc and VR
- Projects in an early stage of development (film idea, without financing, without trailer, without production)
- Projects in advanced development stage (with trailer, possibly partial financing)
- Projects in rough-cut (work-in-progress, ready for festival evaluation / distribution)
- Stories with great potential for co-productions within the German-speaking area, as well as on an international level for the Master's Pitch
- New ways of storytelling
- Strong visual language
- Strong compositional idea for the German Composition Funding Prize
- Projects with a relevant share of archive material for the British Pathé Archive Award
- Projects of the students of our partner universities for the Pitch Award des Hauses des Dokumentarfilms
The formats and awards at DOK.forum Marketplace 2020
DOK.forum Marketplace 2020 offers numerous specialised formats - including three endowed competitions. Each approved project has the chance to qualify for the selection. The selection committee decides on all nominations and curates the best possible matches.
- Master's Pitch - A unique format for training and collaboration - in partnership with Documentary Campus
Selected projects with particularly strong international potential will be presented to the public along with keynotes and statements from top-class international experts. The aim of the Master's Pitch is to make the decision-making process of the industry transparent and to create a platform for exchange and cooperation.
In moderated 90-minute roundtable sessions, filmmakers discuss their latest projects in an exclusive and pleasant atmosphere with experts from the editorial, production, sales and promotion departments.
- One-to-One Meetings
To complement the discussions in the roundtables and after the pitchings, the DOK.forum marketplace offers carefully curated one-to-one meetings of 15 minutes each. The meetings will be arranged in advance and during the marketplace upon request of the decision makers.
- British Pathé Archive Award
The funding award honours projects with a large proportion of archive material and thus strengthens a documentary genre rich in tradition. The winning project will receive British Pathé archive material worth 14,000 euros or, alternatively, 2,500 euros in cash.
- German Composition Prize, donated by Sonoton Music
In order to strengthen the artistic collaboration between filmmaker.innen and composer.innen, the best musical concept for a documentary film will be endowed with 2,500 euros.
- Pitch Award – sponsored by Haus des Dokumentarfilms
All students at our partner universities have the opportunity to submit their current projects for the Pitch Award. The best pitch among the nine nominated students will receive 2,500 euros in project funding.
- Marketplace Screenings
Up to 10 projects in rough cut will be presented in a closed screening to buyers, distributors, sales agents and festival curators.
- International training and chances
DOK.forum Marketplace invites every year an international guest delegation to Munich - in 2020 we welcome filmmakers from Canada. In addition, teams from Québec and Bavaria develop and present their projects as part of the two-year QC+BY Doc CoPro training initiative.
Head of DOK.forum Marketplace
Tel.: +49 (0)89 – 51 51 97 86