German Documentary Film Music Award 2023
DOK.fest München and Versicherungskammer Kulturstiftung are pleased to announce the 11th German Documentary Film Music Award at the 38th DOK.fest München 2023.
An award for outstanding documentary film compositions
Unique in the German-speaking region, the German Documentary Film Music Award recognises a composition for a feature-length cinema documentary that connects with the documentary film narrative in a special way. It sees itself as a platform for the work of composers and the value of music as a narrative level in documentary films.
The award is endowed with 5,000 euros. The composer of the film is being honoured. It is donated by the Versicherungskammer Kulturstiftung and supported by the Förder- und Hilfsfonds des Deutschen Komponistenverbandes (DKV / DEFKOM).
Conditions of participation
The following prerequisites must be fulfilled:
- The composition is part of a documentary film and has been composed for it.
- The composer is a member of GEMA, AKM or SUISA.
- The date of completion of the film is after 1 January 2022.
- The running time of the film (not the score) is at least 52 minutes.
- The running time of the score is at least 15 minutes.
- At least 75% of the score comes from the composer who is applying.
- A cinema copy of the film is available.
- Submitted films may not be available on free internet platforms.
- Submitted films may not have been shown publicly at DOK.fest München.
- Films that have already been broadcast on German television are excluded from submission.
- Please officially confirm to us that the submitted film, in case of winning, can be screened free of charge at the corresponding award ceremony and that it can also be publicly screened as part of the Best Doks.
If you would like to submit your film for the German Documentary Film Music Award, please register it via our database (please select "Registration for German Documentary Film Music Award" in the registration form).
If you register a film with us for the very first time, please set up an account. If you already have an account, you can log in at any time via this website and register a new film. If you have forgotten your password, please request a new one through our system.
Please also send the following documents by email to Johanna von Websky (firstname.lastname@example.org):
- Cover letter, informal (with telephone number, address of submitter)
- Cue-Sheet for the registered composition
- Technically flawless screening link of the film (if not already provided)
- Bio- and Filmography of the composer
The date of the postmark / the completed online registration applies.
Submission deadline is 1 February 2023 (extended).
Submission for the German Documentary Film Music Award is now closed.
Johanna von Websky
Phone: +49 89 51 39 97 88
Dachauer Straße 116
Award donor and supporters
10th German Documentary Film Music Award 2022
MEIN GESTOHLENES LAND (THIS STOLEN COUNTRY OF MINE)
Director: Marc Wiese
Composition: Carsten Nicolai aka Alva Noto
9th German Documentary Film Music Award 2021
Directors: Christian von Brockhausen, Willem Konrad
Composition: Christoph Schauer
8th German Documentary Film Music Award 2020
DIE LETZTEN ÖSTERREICHER (THE LAST AUSTRIANS)
Director: Lukas Pitscheider
Composition: Klemens Bittmann, Christian Bakanic and Christofer Frank
7th German Documentary Film Music Award 2019
Director: Florian Baron
Composition: Jana Irmert
6th German Documentary Film Music Award 2018
Director: Andres Veiel
Composition: Damian Scholl and Ulrich Reuter
5th German Documentary Film Music Award 2017
Director: Sobo Swobodnik
Composition: Elias Gottstein
4th German Documentary Film Music Award 2016
Directors: M. Luksch, M. Reinhart and T. Tode
Composition: Siegfried Friedrich
3rd German Documentary Film Music Award 2015
Director: Nicolas Steiner
Composition: Jan Miserre and John Gürtler, Paradox Paradise
2nd German Documentary Film Music Award 2014
MERET OPPENHEIM – EINE SURREALISTIN AUF EIGENEN WEGEN
Director: Daniela Schmidt-Langels
Composition: Ulrike Haage
1st German Documentary Film Music Award 2013
Director: August Pflugfelder
Composition: Sebastian Fischer